Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry Ageism & Chart Performance

Hey Antuan,

I remember bringing this point up in the old forum section, and you saying that it would be an interesting idea for the new version of the game, so I thought that I'd mention it again:

I think it would add a lot more depth and challenges to the game if at a certain point (40's - 50's) artists began experiencing difficulty with charting and selling albums. Currently, it seems a little unrealistic to me to see older artists such as Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Elton John, etc. being able to top the charts in the same way that an artist in their 20's or 30's would.

I'm not sure how the system for this would be implemented, but this is something that I'd really like to see included in the new version of the game if possible. I don't think older artists should lose rep. points, however, it would be nice if the game could somehow recognize when an artist is getting older and slowly have the sales begin to drop off and that would also be a good segue into retirement if an artist can't find another lucrative alternative such as touring/endorsements/whatever to keep their name out there and keep people interested in and aware of whatever release they're trying to promote.

Also, I'd really like to know if you'd still be interested in including a feature like this now that you've fully shifted your attention towards the new project as well as what others in the community think of this idea. Thanks.
    Last edited by MusicManagers; 07-25-2015, 12:57 AM.

I think it's a great idea and I agree we should all continue to think through how the idea is implemented together.
    [email protected]

Comment

I really like this idea!

Maybe you could program it so there's an "Ageism Hit" to sales on the backend, and each genre can have an Age slider representing either the age at which said hit will hit an artist in that genre? That way each genre can be represented more accurately (and the feature could be turned off/delayed by the user if they don't want it).

But instead of having it be a large, sudden hit to sales, it should be a slow depression over time. So, say, if you have Pop set to have the Ageism hit at 40, a pop star that turns 40 will start to have slightly lower sales. Then, as they get older, the sales will continue to dip, bottoming off at a certain point. Not sure how low sales should hit, or how long the slow sales decline should be, but I guess the severity of it could be tied to a slider or something so users could play with it?

Comment

• MusicManagers
        MusicManagers commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I was looking at Madonna and Mariah Carey's respective album discographies on Wiki earlier and their sales really began to steadily and dramatically decline around the tail-end of their 30's (around 37-38 and not counting their one-off comeback eras) onwards. So, if it were to be incorporated, and leaning in the interest of not having it appear too sudden of a decline, then maybe it should start around that age as well in-game for late thirties and bottom out around 45.

If we're going with today's current sales climate and RL statistics then it would bottom at sales of probably no more than 300-600k WW per album and that would be a generous figure/if you managed that artists' campaign perfectly max. would probably be around 1-1.5m (including digital purchases).

With that being said, I really like the idea of sliders determining the age at which the artist would begin to become affected and I agree that it would probably be best if it were handled that way and adjustable via the editor. I also think the sales decrease could be handled that way as well (adjustable through the editor in maybe percentages or something until it bottoms out) for players that maybe still want the impact, but don't want it to be as significant as it would be in the real world, or turn it off completely.
        Last edited by MusicManagers; 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM.

Originally posted by YoungLondon View Post

Maybe you could program it so there's an "Ageism Hit" to sales on the backend, and each genre can have an Age slider representing either the age at which said hit will hit an artist in that genre? That way each genre can be represented more accurately (and the feature could be turned off/delayed by the user if they don't want it).
      I also want to add to that, that I agree with the suggestion of each genre having an individual/adjustable slider for when the impact would occur age-wise, and, of course, how steep the sales decrease would be.
      Last edited by MusicManagers; 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X