Interest/Popularity of Albums + more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest/Popularity of Albums + more

Is there a way for you to make the popularity of album increase/decrease instead of making it stay at 100 percent and then tumble down the charts? It would be a more realistic way of keeping interest in an album and the only way to keep interest would be either Touring and performing all the songs from that album, releasing singles which is a better way to keep interest in the album, a re-release. However, if a single has high controversy it could possibly make a negative impact of the album thus decreasing album interest.

I.E: A local US hit would only bring interest to the US but if it doesn't chart that well worldwide it wouldn't garner much interest for the album on a WW scale.

Also making the discography for the artist a bit more detailed- maybe like Wikipedia.

Also, making songs or releasing albums in different languages would be a great thing. Like releasing a Spanish only single or a French only album.

Last edited by Luna; 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM.

Yes, I had an album once that all the singles were +3x platinum in Europe while the album itself was not even gold (500,000). Not realistic, I mean I don't have a problem with an album bombing/flopping but like it just can't bomb/flop in the artist biggest market while he is having hits after hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
      Is there a way for you to make the popularity of album increase/decrease instead of making it stay at 100 percent and then tumble down the charts? It would be a more realistic way of keeping interest in an album and the only way to keep interest would be either Touring and performing all the songs from that album, releasing singles which is a better way to keep interest in the album, a re-release. However, if a single has high controversy it could possibly make a negative impact of the album thus decreasing album interest.

I.E: A local US hit would only bring interest to the US but if it doesn't chart that well worldwide it wouldn't garner much interest for the album on a WW scale.

Also making the discography for the artist a bit more detailed- maybe like Wikipedia.

Also, making songs or releasing albums in different languages would be a great thing. Like releasing a Spanish only single or a French only album.
      Great ideas Luna- it's a good thing I'm still in development of the game

Question: I've actually been tinkering with completely getting rid of the difference between album popularity and artist popularity, so that players only have one popularity measure to worry about for releases (basically going back to MWR1's way of doing it). In this case, it would work a lot as you suggest with popularity increasing/decreasing with the artist. But I'm sure you can imagine the differences include: decreases in popularity and how it wouldn't quite have the same affect to continue performing/touring from a particular album. Is individual record popularity worth keeping ? This is open for anyone to weigh in on.
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by antuan View Post

Question: I've actually been tinkering with completely getting rid of the difference between album popularity and artist popularity, so that players only have one popularity measure to worry about for releases (basically going back to MWR1's way of doing it). In this case, it would work a lot as you suggest with popularity increasing/decreasing with the artist. But I'm sure you can imagine the differences include: decreases in popularity and how it wouldn't quite have the same affect to continue performing/touring from a particular album. Is individual record popularity worth keeping ? This is open for anyone to weigh in on.
        I don't think that's a good idea to be honest. It's good the way it is. Not that what you're suggesting is a bad idea by any means but it's good the way it is because it's more challenging.

With the album popularity I was thinking you can tie "increasing albums sales with singles" in that bit. As I said before releasing a single would build up album popularity thus increasing it's sales and position on the charts. However if the single loses it's momentum the popularity of the album gradually goes down making the sales dwindle. You can also implement a way of making it less effective with the more singles you release since releasing a 6th single mostly has minor impact on an album.

Also, why is that singles in the US have this long peak at the top? I noticed that a single stays number 1 for weeks in the US but tumble down the charts worldwide. Is there a way to adjust that so it isn't so "easy"? I hardly use the media for singles because of that problem.

OH! One last thing. Soundtrack Albums. The idea was to have a list in the game called "Upcoming Movies" with randomly generated names and upcoming dates. Depending on your popularity, genre and stats a movie director would offer you a chance to record a soundtrack album for said movie. I have more ideas for this but I'll get back to that later.

Comment

I don't think that's a good idea to be honest. It's good the way it is. Not that what you're suggesting is a bad idea by any means but it's good the way it is because it's more challenging.

With the album popularity I was thinking you can tie "increasing albums sales with singles" in that bit. As I said before releasing a single would build up album popularity thus increasing it's sales and position on the charts. However if the single loses it's momentum the popularity of the album gradually goes down making the sales dwindle. You can also implement a way of making it less effective with the more singles you release since releasing a 6th single mostly has minor impact on an album.

Also, why is that singles in the US have this long peak at the top? I noticed that a single stays number 1 for weeks in the US but tumble down the charts worldwide. Is there a way to adjust that so it isn't so "easy"? I hardly use the media for singles because of that problem.

OH! One last thing. Soundtrack Albums. The idea was to have a list in the game called "Upcoming Movies" with randomly generated names and upcoming dates. Depending on your popularity, genre and stats a movie director would offer you a chance to record a soundtrack album for said movie. I have more ideas for this but I'll get back to that later.
          Yes i like idea of soundtrack

Comment

I really like the soundtrack idea as well and would love to read some of your other thoughts relating to soundtrack albums and how that would work in the game. I think in general that the game should offer players and in-game artists more options outside of recording albums, tour, and repeat. I think expanding upon the downtime between album eras with soundtrack offers, promotional/endorsement opportunities or just other money and exposure making ventures for the artist and label in general would be cool features to have in the next version of the game.

Also, I think being able to license music for adverts and streaming services is something that would be nice to incorporate as well.

Comment

The way Soundtrack Albums could be incorporated into the game:-

1. The "Upcoming Movies" list would have to be placed in media as a separate entity whereas It would list random movie names and dates in which the movie will be released as well as movie popularity.

2. The label would get a notice(like how festivals invite you to play or performance invites) about 5-6 months before the movie is about to be released to record a soundtrack for the movie. The director would present you with a theme(which is the themes we use when recording albums) and the artist will automatically record tracks for the soundtrack. Recording the tracks depends on if you accept the deal or not and if you accept the deal as I said the artist would automatically start recording for the soundtrack.

3.After the process of recording is done it will show soundtrack status and the finished tracks in which you can rename and what not. However, the soundtrack WILL have to be released and you won't be able to back out because of the movie's release date. Of course you won't set a date for the soundtrack since it will be the same day the movie is released.

4. There would have to be a separate chart for the soundtrack albums which would probably just have the name of the movie plastered on it.

5., There could be a choice to change the movie's name for personal purposes and to avoid redundancy.

6. As promo for the soundtrack it would probably depend on movie popularity and he soundtracks quality. Example: If the movie is rated 5 stars max popularity and the soundtrack's quality is poor it wont do really well. It depends really and I haven't given this much thought/

Note: Singles won't be able to be released for soundtrack since most soundtracks aren't treated as albums besides Frozen and a select few.

Comment

I really like this idea but the only thing I would add is that I think you should be able to potentially release singles from a soundtrack album. I just think that maybe they should have a shorter shelf-life than a song released from a normal full-length album or maybe not chart as high or frequently, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicManagers View Post
                  I really like this idea but the only thing I would add is that I think you should be able to potentially release singles from a soundtrack album. I just think that maybe they should have a shorter shelf-life than a song released from a normal full-length album or maybe not chart as high or frequently, etc.
                  True but then there is a case of a Soundtrack single smashing like Let It Go < ugh. Before there was the Idea to release singles for it if Antuan will implement "singles increasing album sales"

Comment

I think tying in album popularity to single releases would be the best way to do it. But I also think that every form of promotion i.e releases, awards shows/awards, festivals, media, etc should affect album, singles and artist popularity to certain degrees. For example singles, music videos and award shows would work better on singles/albums but still contribute to increasing artists visibilty. Whereas touring and festivals are great for artist popularity and also to a lesser effect contribute to album and single popularity. However I understand if this sounds too convoluted to implement or if people don't agree. As long as we can at least get singles to interact with album success and failure

Also I like the sound of soundtracks. Artists tend to be invited to contribute one or a few tracks so I think it should be more this way than creating a whole soundtrack with one artist. I think you should also possibly be able to release a single from it, maybe if asked like when a development offer is made with the terms that you have to release the song as a single?

Comment

Thinking back on this, it wouldn't be so bad to go back to tying artist popularity with single and album popularity like MRW as this would make all 3 interact with each other and also create competition on the charts as the AI label artists will be able to clock more sales and peak fully if they have built enough/already have enough popularity. However there was also 'reputation' in MWR which I think should be harder to build and maintain than it was in MWR

This however, is if there is no other way to successfully do it

Comment

That would be amazing! I hope Antuan put in the game!

Comment

All these ideas sound awesome! I'm really hyped for this game

On the lines of popularity; I'd like to see random events happen that affect album popularity / sales, like an artist gets arrested for whatever reason (perhaps due to a high controversy skill rating), this puts a negative impact on the album sales and chart position

Or perhaps an artist passes away and there's a huge surge in album sales, including previous albums, like Bowie here in the UK, 19 of his albums entered the charts after he had died.

I just think it would be cool to have random events that affect things too

Comment

Working...
                          X