Strategy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy?

I'm new to the game and was wondering what a good strategy was. Release album than singles? Single album single?

For new act with 0 popularity, I would start with them focusing on their home territory if it's one of the big 3 markets (meaning if the act is from either the US, UK, or Europe, start focusing in their home territory). Record 10-15 tracks cheaply, then release around three promotional singles WW, meaning singles that you don't pay to promote and print no physical copies. You will notice that their first single will sell 0 copies because no one knows who they are. So release 2 more promotional singles WW, sales will be low. Then create a set list, and start touring at small or tiny venues in their home territory, then in the other big markets. NOTE: don't release any releases you want to be successful while the acts morale is low. Low morale affects critical ratings. Once morale is recovered to at least 80%, release another promo single! then release an EP containing those four promo singles and other songs if you like shortly after. The acts first attempt will never be wildly successful unless you repeat this process multiple times, so just expect that their first album won't sell loads of copies. I would get the acts popularity to around 20-25% before releasing a lead single with low promotion and enough physical copies. Then, release a 2nd single once the first one has run out with slightly more promotion and plenty of media coverage. Wait a month, release the album with low promotion, relatively few physical copies and plenty of media coverage. Release two or three more singles after the album over time to gain popularity, record new album in the meantime, then tour first album, then you could release more promotional singles for the second album and another EP if you want more popularity. You can essentially repeat this until the act has made it big.

Comment

• Mike
      Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That is very helpful and makes a lot of sense.

If I'm starting with a new act with 0% popularity I get them to record songs quickly (and inexpensively since I make them both the songwriter and producer, even if they have no production skill and I choose a cheap studio). I then use these songs to make a setlist and have them tour small venues (but to make sure they get full attendance I reduce the ticket price to $1 or $2 - this makes a loss but it's not too significant if you choose no production). I also always accept festival invitations. Once they reach 30% or 40% popularity and are back to 100% morale I have them record a new album (this time paying for songwriters, producers and a good recording studio). I then release a first single and then the album ~2 months later WW (or if I'm playing in the UK, I release the single then the album 1 week later). In between the lead single and the album I might release a second single but it will not be heavily promoted. I only really do 4 or 5 singles max from an album, unless it's a big artist and they keep getting #1s/top 10s when I might do 6 but never more than 7.

Comment

• Mike
      Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I appreciate the knowledge. It is also very interesting seeing the strategies people use. Very helpful for me.

My artists are not selling, what can I do?

Comment

I usually have the artists record an album where they are the songwriter (although I often choose a semi-decent producer if possible). For the recording studios, you might notice that studios in the UK and Canada are cheaper for better quality, at least in the RL mod. During the recording, I'll do as much general promo as I can schedule, but usually it's not much. Then I send the artist on a tour of small venues with no production quality and tickets ~$10. Tour for a few months and your popularity should be in the 20s or so. Then I release a single and do promo for it. Promo can only happen at certain intervals (3 or 4 months or so), so I wait until the promo options are open again before I release the album. Follow for the next singles, knowing sales will be relatively low. Keep touring in smaller venues and you will accumulate popularity. By the second or third album you should be in full swing.

Short answer: tour and promo before releasing music.

Comment

Now I have Rihanna on my label ... she's is selling because I spended as much as could on promo (70 millions for one single) ... and ... it's too much.

Before that, she was not selling much, not even on top 200 on USA.

I guess I am doing something wrong

Comment

• Levi Mikhailov
          Levi Mikhailov commented
          Editing a comment
          You don't need to spend a lot of money with high popularity artist, Local Appearances or Average Promotion is very good and not too expensive. You can go to media schedule and put her on some promos in the USA.

I need some tips about money and earn profit with tours, I'll be glad if someone could help me

Comment

Working...
        X