YUI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YUI

Yui Yoshioka, Yui, stylized as YUI, is a Japanese singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and actress. Born and raised in Fukuoka prefecture, she played live at various locations in her hometown before being noticed by SD Records when she was 17 years old. She grew up in a single-parent family as her father left her mother when she was three. She stated that she had always been close to music, as she would remember the beats from music she heard on the radio, and be able to sing it. By the time she was in elementary school she thought she would like to become a singer.Self-described as shy and horrible at talking to others as a child, she would play outside by herself in mountains, rivers, by the sea and in rice paddies.

During her third year in primary school, she was influenced by her mother to begin writing a journal of her feelings and tried to compose them into poems. By the time Yui attended high school, she began to write songs, thinking of that as being able to express herself little by little. While in high school, she worked part-time at a Chinese restaurant to help pay for tuition. Yet, between music, school and work, she only had one or two hours of sleep, and believed she no longer had the time to realize her dreams of a music career. She subsequently became ill; however, it was at the hospital that she was overwhelmed with the desire to make music and finally decided that school and music could not coexist.
    Paper Hearts(EP) ERA -

Yui began recording her first set of music in her basement. The EP consisted of 10 tracks. With her long time friend and manager Takuya Chan they book a few shows in her hometown, playing at bars. Yui did an interview with Radio #1 Fukuoka in which she said " My manager Takuya wanted us to sell the EP but I told him I won't sell it. I wanted to be heard, seen, build a loyal fan base."

Months later she played at her 50th show in Tokyo. It was a private show in honor of a known worldwide artist Madonna. Being so impressed with her talent and voice Madonna met her backstage and offered her a chance to open for her on her upcoming World Tour. Yui quickly accepted the opportunity to tour with the legend. Takuya, Yui's manager hired a band, make-up artist/fashion designer, Publicist, bought
    equipment for the tour with the money made for the shows she performed at.

In Jan 12th 2011 Yui started a twitter and Instagram account which she announced on a local television show called "J-POP GO!". Yui then traveled to America, ready to go on tour. BY the time the tour began Yui had 1 million followers from, Japan alone and 500k on Instagram. Yui opened on tour for Madonna in USA, UK, Canada, Latin America, Europe, Oceania and her home country Asia. The tour ended in December 20th 2012. Though Madonna's crowd of fans weren't Yui's target audience she gained many fans on her talent, song writing and voice. The Huffington Post called Yui "A true vision and talent."

By January 2013 Yui had built up a great following by promoting on television shows, radio stations and performing at small festivals all over the world. Her twitter account now boast 20 million followers and her Instagram 4 million followers.
    From Me To You - Era (2013 - 2014)
    Upon leaving her hometown in Fukuoka for Tokyo, Yui wrote the song "Life" as a tribute to her hometown. Although she initially had planned its release on an indie label, Fuji Television producer Yamaguchi was so inspired by Yui's voice that he insisted on having her work on the music for his primetime drama Fukigen na Gene even before she released her first major single. The music in Fukigen na Gene was eventually based on her songs "Life" and "Feel My Soul".

On April 22, Yui released her first major debut single "Life" in Japan. With the publicity the drama tie-in drew in, "Life " managed to sell over 1.9 million copies and managed to chart at number 1 on Oricon Weekly Charts in its first week. However, her English version leaked and her fans from USA, Canada, Latin America, Europe, UK and Oceania all heard it and demanded that she released it officially for them. A week later she announced the worldwide date of the single on twitter sending fans into a frenzy making "#YuiforLIFE" trend worldwide on twitter. On May 27th she released "Life" worldwide which went #1 in everywhere chart it charted on. Her next three singles, "Merry Go Round" (theme song for the movie Hinokio), "Tokyo" , and "I Can't Say" topped the charts worldwide reaching #1 in every country with the exception of "Tokyo which only reached #2 on Billboard Hot 100.

After the release of the first two singles, Yui released her debut album, titled From Me to You, on October 28th 2013 which debuted at #1 in all of Asia selling 2,300,873 copies in the first week. The album stayed a top the charts until December 11th 2013. Critics called it "Album of the Decade" praising her song-writing, melodies and voice. Her fans from outside of Asia on twitter and Instagram asked if the album will be released worldwide and she replied with "Definitely!!!" making "YUI" trend worldwide. On February 2nd 2014 Yui released the album everywhere and it topped everywhere worldwide except US which it debuted at #6.

Yui then embarked on her world tour "From Me To You World Tour" which consisted of 72 dates spread out across the globe. The album spawned three #1 singles, won numerous awards(14), became the best selling and fastest selling album in 2013-2014. The album sold over 12 million copies worldwide and she sold over 52 million singles worldwide.

The album received universal acclaim earning it a score of 98 on metacritic. It was reviewed by 30 critics.

Can't Buy My Love - Era (2014 -2016) + Relationship w/manager Takuya Chan

During her world tour Yui started recording her second album. Yui teased her fans on twitter "
    The album title, Can't Buy My Love's message is "Ai suru mono ni wa kantan ni wa yuzurenai" (愛する ものには 簡単には 譲れない) which means in English "I can't easily hand over things that I adore." she said. Fans speculated that Yui and her manager Takuya were in a relationship but Yui dismissed the rumor on twitter by saying, "I'm still single my flowers xoxoxo".

On November 10th 2014 Yui surprised released her first official single"Goodbye Days" from her upcoming album "Can't Buy My Love" in Asia topping the chart by the end of the week with 1,800,558 copies sold. Later she released it worldwide on November 24th 2014. By December the end of December the single had already crossed 8,000,000 copies worldwide making it that fastest selling single in history. The critics showered the single with praised giving it 5/5 star ratings calling it "A touching and life changing song." She performed the song on American Idol and various shows and festivals around the world.

On March 9th 2015 Yui released her second single "Rolling Star" in Asia which made it the 6th #1 single in Asia. The critics called it a foot stomping, fist pumping rock song that would be remembered for ages to come. She later announced the release date worldwide set for summer. On May 25th 2015 Yui released "Rolling Star" worldwide and it reached #1 in every country selling 5,000,000 copies in a month.

Yui announced "Can't Buy My Love" release date in Asia and worldwide. It being set to be released on October 5th 2015 in Asia and on November 2nd 2015 worldwide. On September 28th 2015 Yui released a third single in Asia "CHE.R.RY" which topped the charts in Asia.
    Soon the album was released in Asia selling 1,900,800 copies topping the worldwide chart and charts in Asia.By the end of October the album had sold over 4,000,000 copies. The albums release on November 2nd 2015 along with her single CHE.R.RY became a worldwide event. Madonna and various artists tweeted Yui on twitter praising her for the album. The album received universal acclaim reviewed by 40 critics earning it score of 100 on metacritic. Critics thought she could never top her previous album but she surprised them again. The album shot back up to #1 on the worldwide chart selling 5,723,359 copies and making total sales of the album over 9,000,000 copies.

CHE.R.RY was released on November 2nd 2015 in which it failed to reached the previous single success in Hot 100 but topped the charts in every other country. It sold 6,000,000 copies by December. Her next two singles, "Highway Chance" and "Umbrella" proved to be a huge success both selling over 10,000,000 copies. Umbrella proved to be the most successful single of the album selling over 15,000,000 copies.Her tour also proved too be a great success. Playing in 100 sold out stadium dates her "Can't Buy My Love World Tour" grossed over 300 million making it the most successful tour of all time.

By the end of 2016 the album sold 25,466,644 copies worldwide making it the fastest selling album in history. It received many awards and became the only album to have all of it's singles sell over 10 million worldwide. She also released a DVD "Can't Buy My Love Visual Anthology" which sold over 2.6 million copies worldwide.

In October, Yui took to Twitter and announced her relationship and upcoming marriage to her long time best friend and manager Takuya Chan to her now 60 million followers and 40 million followers on Instagram.
    I Loved Yesterday - Era (2016- present)

Yui started to record her 3rd album already and it was finished. In an interview with Rolling Stone she said "My fans are the ones that made me who I am today. With the help of my husband, team and fans I am here today. Before I was even as big as I am now I said I wanted to be heard and seen. My dream came true."

She took to twitter to announce the album's name and message. "The album title, I Loved Yesterday's message is "Kinou wo aiseru youni kyou wo ikiyou. Ashita mo onaji kimochi de itai kara" (昨日を 愛せるように 今日を 生きよう  明日も 同じ気持ちで いたいから) which means in English, "In order to love yesterday, let's live today without regrets. I want to live tomorrow with the same feeling as well".

Yui soon did a few festival in the UK and Europe to keep in public eye. In another recent interview with Music Station (Asia) she revealed that she was spending time with her husband and recording her album. When asked if she wanted children she replied "Yes, In the future."

Yui soon announced her first single "Find Me" form her album "I Loved Yesterday" on twitter and Instagram. With the release it was another instant success reaching #1 in US, Canada, LA, UK, Europe and Oceania but failed to crack the Top 5 in Asia. Due to the immense success of the single in the US it remains Yui's only single to cross the 10 million mark in USA certifying it diamond. Yui the released her second single "Laugh Away" in the summer of 2017 which saw similar success as the previous single "Find Me".

Yui then announced her third single "LOVE & TRUTH" and album "I Loved Yesterday" for an October release in Asia and a Worldwide release in early November. The simultaneous release of the single and album in Asia made Yui dominate the charts for several weeks staying at #1. By the end of October both single and album both crossed 4,500,000 copies sold. The worldwide release of the pushed "I Loved Yesterday" to dominate the charts for another week. It sold over 5,678,900 copies pushing the album cross 10,000,000 copies sold within two months, matching the success of her previous album "Can't Buy My Love". The 3rd single LOVE & TRUTH smashed worldwide making it the first single from the album to reach #1 in every country it charted in and being the most successful single of Yui;s selling over 21,000,000 million copies.. In January embarked on her world tour grossing over 500 million. Yui's three other singles "Namidairo", "My Generation" and OH YEAH" saw similar success as the other singles.

Yui won numerous awards from the album including Billboard Top 200 album of the year. Yui also earned 6 #1 singles from a single album and the first person to do so since Micheal Jackson and Katy Perry. It also became her second album to have all the singles cross the 10 million mark worldwide and it's also her best selling album in Asia, Oceania and Latin America. The album has sold 24,452,242 copies to date making it her second album to cross 20,000,000 copies sold.

"Will Continue later since I have a LOT to put down. I'm on my third album now."
    DISCOGRAPHY:

ALBUMS Date USA CAN LA UK EUR OCE ASIA SALES
    From Me To You 10/28/2013
    02/03/2014
    6 1 1 1 1 1 1 US: 1,209,318
    Canada: 207,579
    Latin: 611,598
    UK: 702,728
    Europe: 3,126,607
    Oceania: 544,275
    Asia: 5,825,534
    WW: 12,223,634
    Can't Buy My Love 10/05/2015
    11/02/2015
    1 1 1 1 1 1 1 US: 9,473,016
    Canada: 714,411
    Latin: 1,111,762
    UK: 1,262,581
    Europe: 4,321,203
    Oceania: 782,891
    Asia: 7,800,780
    WW: 25,466,644
    I Loved Yesterday 10/02/2017
    11/06/2017
    1 3 1 1 1 1 1 US: 7,801,708
    Canada: 124,973
    Latin: 1,984,465
    UK: 398,280
    Europe: 3,778,564
    Oceania: 878,009
    Asia: 9,495,243
    WW: 24,452,242
    Holidays In The Sun
    TBA
    TBA

Singles Album Date USA CAN LA UK EUR OCE ASIA SALES
    Life From Me To You 2013 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW:18 million
    Merry Go Round From Me To You 2013 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW:16 million
    Tokyo From Me To You 2014 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW:12 million
    I Can't Say From Me To You 2014 1 1 1 1 10 1 1 WW: 6 million
    Goodbye Days Can't Buy My Love 2014 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW: 13 million
    Rolling Star Can't Buy My Love 2015 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW: 13 million
    CHE.R.RY Can't Buy My Love 2015 86 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW: 11 million
    Highway Chance Can't Buy My Love 2016 1 50 1 1 1 2 2 WW: 10 million
    Umbrella Can't Buy My Love 2016 1 1 1 7 4 2 1 WW: 15 million
    Find Me I Loved Yesterday 2016 1 1 1 1 1 1 7 WW: 18 million
    Laugh Away I Loved Yesterday 2017 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 WW: 16 million
    LOVE & TRUTH I Loved Yesterday 2017 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WW: 21 million
    Namidairo I Loved Yesterday 2018 1 3 1 1 1 1 1 WW: 11 million
    My Generation I Loved Yesterday 2018 1 4 1 5 4 2 1 WW: 10 million
    OH YEAH I Loved Yesterday 2018 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 WW: 11 million
    TBA
    TBA
    TBA
    TBA
    TBA

DVDs/Live Date Album Sales Compilation Date Album Sales EP Date Sales
    Can''t Buy My Love Visual Anthology 2016 Can't Buy My Love WW: 2,677,561 Garden Pop #1s Paper Hearts 2011-2012 N/A
    TBA TBA
    TBA TBA
    TBA TBA

TOURS:

From Me To You World Tour:$342,942,424
    Can't Buy My Love World Tour:$488,399,600
    I Loved Yesterday World Tour:$501,899,700

Last edited by Luna; 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM.

Relationship and Marriage -

Takuya Chan(her manager)

In early January 2017 Yui and Takuya got married in a beautiful garden of the mansion they owned together in Japan. Yui explained in the interview that she has never been so happy in her life and she hoped to spend the rest of her life with Takuya.

Comment

Reserved for more info.

Comment

Working...
      X