A few questions to help me understand this game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions to help me understand this game

Hey everyone! I had a few questions regarding gameplay that I am having some difficulty understanding. I couldn't really find any guides online or through steam, so I am resorting to the forums for help. I want to stress my thanks in advance for every question you guys are able to answer and help me understand!
    1. Music Producers: How do their stats affect the overall song they produce? I assume that the "production" skill is the most important skill correct? I am most curious about the "Urban" stat, but still curious about the "creativity", "mainstream" and "controversy" stats as well.
    2. Does the recording studio quality affect a song/album in terms of how well it charts and how many copies are sold? What advantages does using a higher quality studio have?
    3. Song Writing Requirements: I am really confused about songwriting... When choosing the themes for a batch of new songs on an album, are the theme requirements telling me the minimum percentages the band must have to write a quality song in that particular theme? I guess I am just confused on what makes the overall quality of the song percentage... If I choose "00's nostalgia" for example (only one skill requirement ["mainstream"] of 60%), does that mean I need at least 60% stat in "mainstream" in my band's attributes to write a 100% quality song in that theme? Do the other attributes not matter since only mainstream is the only skill requirement? What happens to the song quality if I am lower than the requirement in a part of a theme?
    4. Is there an advantage to having more than one songwriter on a song? (Should I choose the highest songwriter only, or include some lesser skilled writers and why?)
    5. Music Executives: How do the stats of a music executive affect the bands they manage? I understand what the stats mean (example, frugal vs lavish represents how spendy they are), but how do they affect the bands? Is being shy instead of outgoing a bad thing for example? How about artistry vs profit (I assume this affects how much songwriting time they get correct)?
    6. If I have a lavish music executive, I would assume the label would bleed money left and right if they managed a lesser known band correct (since they wouldn't be able to generate alot of cash)?
    7. If I create a music studio and have my acts use that studio, do I get that money back since I am the studio owner?
    8. What is the best way to determine the correct venue size when touring, and also ticket prices?
    9. Does releasing singles affect the overall sales of the album they originate from?
    10. What affect does music videos have in terms of sales?
    11. For an act, what is the difference between Gross income and Net income?
    12. Is there a way to increase the Live attribute of a band? If so how?
    This is all I can think of for now. Thanks again for any help!
    Last edited by Wilson212; 04-06-2019, 07:30 PM.

YoungLondon or antuan any input on any of these questions you could quickly answer? I know you guys are busy... However, I'm sure I am not the only newbie at this game who is having difficulty understanding some aspects of the game (there is alot of depth here!).

I think I have answered my #3 question, please tell me if I am wrong or off a bit: I will use the genre of "Classical" in this example since its an easy one (creativity 100%, classical 100%, production 100%, all other's 0%).
    1. You can take the importance percentage of each stat from the music category, and give it a value (25% = 2,500, 100% = 10,000).
    2. Add up all of the stat ratings of the selected genre to get a total value (what a perfect score would be, in this case, it would be 30,000).
    3. Then, take the artists stats in those categories and add them up to a total value as well (let's just say they are 50% in all 3 categories, giving them a score of 15,000).
    4. Finally, divide the artists' score (15,000) by the perfect score value (30,000) to get a song quality of 50%
    Does this sound pretty close? The math can be pretty involved of course when the genre has a ton of lesser values (such as 15% here, 30% there etc etc) but the idea is the same.

Comment

I'm no expert but I'll take a crack at these if I think I know an answer...
      1. Music Producers: How do their stats affect the overall song they produce? I assume that the "production" skill is the most important skill correct? I am most curious about the "Urban" stat, but still curious about the "creativity", "mainstream" and "controversy" stats as well. Like you I assume that Production is the most vital skill for a producer. I would further guess that the other stats like "urban" are also considered if doing a song with an "urban" theme; otherwise it would be worthless. The other options would be similar. Each type of "theme" shows the important statistics so if you are strong in urban but weak in creative but do a creative theme, then you would not get the bump.
      2. Does the recording studio quality affect a song/album in terms of how well it charts and how many copies are sold? What advantages does using a higher quality studio have? I think it does improve the quality of the recording which can lead to higher ratings/reviews by the critics and fans. However even if you max everything out and spend $10million on a first album for a new act with F- ratings in popularity it still won't sell well. You have to get the band up in popularity (albums and touring) while keeping expenses down.
      3. Song Writing Requirements: I am really confused about songwriting... When choosing the themes for a batch of new songs on an album, are the theme requirements telling me the minimum percentages the band must have to write a quality song in that particular theme? I guess I am just confused on what makes the overall quality of the song percentage... If I choose "00's nostalgia" for example (only one skill requirement ["mainstream"] of 60%), does that mean I need at least 60% stat in "mainstream" in my band's attributes to write a 100% quality song in that theme? Do the other attributes not matter since only mainstream is the only skill requirement? What happens to the song quality if I am lower than the requirement in a part of a theme? You do not need to meet a criteria to pick a theme, nor even be talented in that area. But you will get better song quality if you are doing themes that the songwriters are skilled at. The 60% Mainstream you reference means 60% of the total song quality will be based on having a high skill by the songwriter in that category. Write to your strengths and stay away from your weaknesses.
      4. Is there an advantage to having more than one songwriter on a song? (Should I choose the highest songwriter only, or include some lesser skilled writers and why?) The advantage could be having strengths in different areas (like referenced in #3) allowing more themes to come into play. I'm not sure about lesser songwriters and I do not know if those are skills that can improve over time. I'm hopeful they can because most artists become better writers over time. I go off that assumption but Songwriting is a key skill I look at when signing a new band (I usually use the Talent Search and build a band).
      5. Music Executives: How do the stats of a music executive affect the bands they manage? I understand what the stats mean (example, frugal vs lavish represents how spendy they are), but how do they affect the bands? Is being shy instead of outgoing a bad thing for example? How about artistry vs profit (I assume this affects how much songwriting time they get correct)? Not 100% sure on this. I know they take over all functions running the band.
      6. If I have a lavish music executive, I would assume the label would bleed money left and right if they managed a lesser known band correct (since they wouldn't be able to generate alot of cash)? Again guessing this is appropriate. I would trend towards an outgoing guy (for my rock bands) but that leans frugal.
      7. If I create a music studio and have my acts use that studio, do I get that money back since I am the studio owner? I've never built a studio yet but I would assume that would just avoid the costs for the studio when you are recording, not actually add money to you. Just a guess on my part though.
      8. What is the best way to determine the correct venue size when touring, and also ticket prices? I found this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/479100/discussions/0/357287935560419316/; it seems the writer there shows a correlation between band popularity and the size venue you are playing. I tend to do short tours to start (10 shows or less) with a set seating size and ticket price. Then evaluate the sales and pay attention to the news feed (too expensive, too cheap, etc) and then adjust for a 2nd short tour until I find a sweet spot that I'm selling out most shows. I may be doing 3000 seat halls but have an occasional 2500 seater and then a few 3500 seaters thrown in. Then the next tour I START at that spot and repeat with short tours, moving up if I need to.
      9. Does releasing singles affect the overall sales of the album they originate from? I don't know the answer. I think that singles (mostly streamed or downloaded) just add to band popularity to some extent which then does bleed into actual album sales.
      10. What affect does music videos have in terms of sales? I never play with those until I am making solid money as they are huge money pits. I assume they are like the old MTV days and just generate popularity on some scale.
      11. For an act, what is the difference between Gross income and Net income? Compare it to your paycheck from work. Gross is the full amount you earn. Net is the amount after taxes and deductions. The album sells and generates say $10,000 but your net is say -$42,859. The band has to pay back all the costs associated with recording the album (songwriters, producers, studio, video, etc) so these are all deducted and paid to you as the studio before the band starts making money.
      12. Is there a way to increase the Live attribute of a band? If so how? Unknown, this may be improveable over time by playing live and I hope some stats (like songwriting) are setup in this way; but I just don't know.
      By the way, I just started a You Tube series for the game, I'm 3 episodes in at this time. Maybe you can find some tidbits to help you out or see how things may adjust over time that will help you. Check out Ep. 1 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hk1eCUmMEc&t=24s if you want to.

Comment

Working...
      X